Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cooking Curls



My hair is the worst when it comes to holding a curl, but, I have found a solution, thanks to my mom.  She found the idea on Pinterest, and it's a fantastic cure to perpetually straight hair.  You can make tight, spiral curls from root to tip or loose beach waves, which I'll be showing you!

What you'll need:
Aluminum Foil
Hair straightener

Simple huh?

1) Cut the tin foil into square pieces.  Your hair thickness, length, and size of curl you desire will dictate how large the pieces should be. 
Since I'm doing large curls, I cut larger pieces of tin foil, about 5x6 inches.  For smaller curls you can probably use 3x4 inch pieces.  This is something you'll have to probably test to make sure the foil piece is large enough to wrap around your hair.  

2) Then you'll take a piece of hair, again, since I'm doing larger curls, I wrapped my hair around 3 fingers, for tight curls, wrap a much smaller piece of hair around one finger.  Then, in keeping your hair coiled, slide it off your finger by holding the ends so they don't slip out.  

3) Wrap the tin foil around the hair, and then fold the bottom of the foil up to hold.  Do this until you've wrapped all of your hair, mine took 11 pieces of foil, other times when doing tight curls, it's been up to 30 wrapped pieces.  

4) Then use your straightener to heat the foil, for large curls, about 45 seconds, small, 20-25 seconds.  Do this until you've heated all of the pieces of hair.  

5) Wait for the foil to cool and then you can begin pulling the foil out, but don't pull it out until it's cool.  The foil slides right off and there's your curls!  You can use hairspray if you like, but mine will even hold all day.





My foil pieces. 




My hair is really long and straight, went to sleep with it wet and this is what I wake up with.  




Wrapping the piece of hair around my fingers.  



This is what it should look like when after you slide it off your fingers. 



Fold the foil around the coil.  



Fold the bottom of the foil up next.  




Once it's all up.



Don't worry if it hangs, you don't want all of your hair to be curled.  With big loose waves anyway.



Heat with the straightener. 



Once all the pieces are cool, the foil slides right off and...



This is what your curls will look like!






For the big curls, I usually have a curling iron ready, just in case some of the hair gets "bent" just to smooth it out.  





Final Product!


48 comments:

  1. You should show what the small curls look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a look at my newest post! Hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. Totally works but be careful, the foil will be HOT. Burnt my neck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the foil does get very hot! Wrap a towel around your neck and secure it with a clip in front.

      Delete
    2. The foil got extremelly hot
      I think you should try one of the overnight hair styling things in pintrest,

      Delete
    3. It's supposed to get pretty hot, I've tried those and they don't work very well, if at all, especially for people with straight hair!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I'm totally going to try this! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! finally something that works! thanx ;)
      p.s: ROLL TIDE!!!

      Delete
  4. i'm so excited/scared to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. does this damage hair at all? I'm not sure if it would damage it the same amount as if you just curled with a curling iron or if it damages it more/less...any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kaitlyn!
    I'm sure if you were to do it every day there would be some heat damage as with any other kind of treatment, but this way you're not pulling you hair or breaking the ends of your hair off, getting it caught in the hinge of the curling iron/straightener, and your hair isn't in contact with the heat source for as long.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cool I am gonna have to try this at the shop! I love the look, but I would make sure to use a GOOD THERMAL PROTECTOR BEFORE YOU PUT ON THE FOIL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing idea!!!! I am deffinately gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Using any type of heat damages your hair somewhat. When the foil conducts the heat onto your hair, it would be like holding the straightener still on your hair.

      Delete
    2. It's heat so of course it does somewhat but you're not pulling your hair like you would with a curling iron or straightener, this is what I was referring to, you don't end up with the frizz, dead looking hai

      Delete
  10. You can also lay the hair flat then fold the foil like an accordian to get a crimped look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!!!!! :D Cant wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to my blog :) http://tubisceis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. what kind of products do you use to keep the curls from falling out?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, my hair is so thin it never gets a good curl in it unless I get it done...and with this it has amazing curls. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does it work as well with short hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has done it on her shoulder length hair and it worked fine!

      Delete
  16. Foundry type used in a Kingsley Machine, Kwikprint, Veach, Franklin Hot Stamping, Howard Hot Foil stamping fine-imprints to imprint Book binding covers, scrap.
    hot stamping type
    hot stamping foil
    hot stamping machines
    satin polyester ribbon
    thermal foil

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really pretty and I am going to try it since my curling iron went kaput.

    But you are so lucky that you wake up with sleek, straight hair after going to bed with wet hair!!! I look like I stuck my finger in a socket. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How long does the curl normally stay? 4 hours? 8?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great trick. My hair won't hold a curl to save it's life and I had amazing curls all day with zero product.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are now my hero. I tried this last night for the first time and I still have curls in my hair today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much! I have been looking for years for a way to curl my hair, I swear they don't last longer than 30 minutes, can't wait to try this! Saviour!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Going to try this... Eeekk!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds dumb but is a serious question. Do you just hover the straightener around the tin foil or actually clamp it? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, these look amazing and soo much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. it really works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This didn't work for my hair/hair type at all. I followed all instructions and then finger combed it out and it was standing about 6 inches up off my head. My hair is long-ish (it reaches my shoulder blades) so I was surprised at the crazy height it ended up giving me. I ended up having to wet my hair, condition, and then re-dry it straight. No waves for me with this method!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs